Cannot install app from Dev Dashboard during local OAuth testing

It seems I found a bug: the app cannot be installed correctly from the Dev Dashboard during local development
Steps to reproduce:

  1. Create a new app using shopify app init
  2. Run: npm run dev
  3. Open “Open app preview” — everything works correctly
  4. Remove the app from the store
  5. Go to the Dev Dashboard and install the app from there
    5.1 The bug can also be reproduced by installing the app directly from the Uninstalled tab

The installation link provided there looks like this:
https://admin.shopify.com/?organization_id=***&no_redirect=true&redirect=/oauth/redirect_from_developer_dashboard?client_id=***

After installation, the following page is shown:
Example Domain This domain is for use in documentation examples without needing permission. Avoid use in operations.
Learn more

I think this should not happen. The app should install correctly during local development and automatically use the Cloudflare tunnel URL generated by npm run dev.
Also, steps 3 and 4 may not even be necessary to reproduce the issue.

Hi @Oleg_Korshunov :waving_hand: thanks for reaching out.

I did some testing and I see what you mean here. The install link from the Dev Dashboard will always use the app_url of the app (https://example.com on a freshly created app using shopify app init) rather than the Cloudlfare tunnel URL.

I’m going to do some more digging and I’ll follow up with you here when I have more information to share.

Hey @Oleg_Korshunov - just following up on this.

Are you still running into this issue? I sent you a DM requesting your shop ID and app ID combo to look at the specifics of your setup on Monday and haven’t heard back yet.

If you could provide that info, it would definitely help out with our investigation :slight_smile:

Sorry for the delayed response

Thank you for following up. Here are the details you requested:

  • Shop ID: product-doctor-test-v0wyx8rm
  • App Id: 353152401409
  • Organization ID: 4884062

Additionally, I updated to the latest Shopify CLI version:

@shopify/cli/4.1.0 linux-x64 node-v24.15.0

I can also reproduce the issue with a brand-new clean application generated by the Shopify app template

Hi @Oleg_Korshunov :waving_hand: - just closing the loop on this.

I did some digging here and while this isn’t technically a bug, this functionality isn’t currently available when running app dev. Uninstalling the app wipes the current session resulting in the app URL from the deployed app version (instead of the tunnel URL) appearing if the app is reinstalled, even when app dev is still “running”. This causes difficulty testing uninstall/install flows locally as you mentioned.

With that said, I’ve brought this up for discussion and also submitted it as a feature request. Although there are no guarantees, I agree thatthis would be a helpful feature to implement in the future and have shared that feedback :slight_smile:

I hope this helps!