Deprecated carrierServiceCreate mutation

Hello there,

While reading the API 2026-10 release note, I noticed the changes regarding carrierServiceCreate mutation, specifying that it will no longer be possible to automatically add a carrier service to the delivery profile of the store, as today.

And this is confirmed when checking my app in the dev dashboard, I currently have a warning about the mutation (the documentation seems not to be up-to-date at the moment I’m writing these lines, because it does not show any deprecated tag):

So I’ve asked the Shopify Assistant to get more info about it, and it told me that I should consider using Shopify Functions (Delivery option generator Functions to be exact) to display delivery methods in the future, because the existing carrierService* API is likely to get sunsetted soon or later. And after searching the documentation asking for more details to the Assistant, I realized this would imply pretty heavy changes to my app, since the process I’ve set up to calculate shipping rates for my app is rather complex.

So my question is: Is the whole existing carrier-service flow, where Shopify sends checkout info to a specific endpoint of the app allowing us to calculate shipping rates, is likely to be marked as deprecated at some point? Which would imply serious work to get our app still operational. Or was it just the Shopify Assistant that went a bit too far in it’s explanations?

Thanks in advance.

The carrier service itself isn’t deprecated. The 2026-10 change only affects the auto-add: a newly created carrier service no longer gets added to the General profile or its zones, so the merchant has to add the rate in admin or your app has to add it through the delivery profile APIs. The callback flow itself is unchanged.

Thanks for the reply, we’re on the same page regarding the API changes scheduled for October 2026.
However the future of the carrier service API remains unclear to me. Why would Shopify suddenly change the way this service is automatically added? Is this the first step in a complete overhaul of this feature?
If Shopify plans to change how third-party apps add their own shipping services to a store, I would like to know now so I can prepare for the implementation of these new practices.

Nothing in the official changelog points to a broader deprecation, it only covers the auto-add removal. Unlike the Scripts to Functions move, there’s no replacement API mentioned for this one, so I wouldn’t read it as the start of a full overhaul yet, just watch the changelog for your API version.