Has Shopify stopped regularly rotating its "In the spotlight" apps?

Has anyone else noticed that the apps featured in the “In the spotlight” section on the Shopify App Store homepage don’t seem to change very often anymore? Or am I just imagining things?

I’ve been keeping an eye on it recently, and some of the same apps seem to have been featured for multiple weeks, possibly longer, judging by a few older snapshots on the Wayback Machine. I’ve started collecting some data on it now, too.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this, or knows how often Shopify actually rotates these featured apps? The Built for Shopify guidance mentions weekly selections, and from my own apps’ previous spotlight features, they’ve certainly seemed to stick pretty closely to that timeframe.

It just seems a bit unfair if some apps are getting significantly longer exposure than others!

Also, does anyone know if LetsMetrix or App Navigator tracks historical spotlight placements? Would be interesting to see how these placements have changed over time.

I may well be completely imagining this! :sweat_smile: But I’ll start collecting some data to see if there’s actually a pattern.

You’re a rockstar, like for the fake reviews work you’ve done! Looking forward to the results.

Happy to help if you need.

Haha, we didn’t get very far with the fake reviews IMO! Removing genuine reviews from honest developers’ apps certainly managed to shut us all up for a while :joy: But I’m hoping to start raising it again soon, once we find some time around all these other changes we need to make! Unfortunately, I haven’t seen much meaningful improvement on the fake review front.

We’re still very much pissed, but the problem is partners are busy and probably gave up expecting anything from Shopify.

Also we need to act stronger so Shopify actually cares about the consequence of their non-action.
If we can materialize then measure the negative impact of our frustration on Shopify’s revenue and business, it might help. It’s all about KPI with these corporate people

My app was featured in the Spotlight section once, and I think it stayed there for around 4–5 months. The email Shopify sent when they selected the app said the spotlight placement would be for only one week.

That’s amazing! My app has been featured twice (although not for a while now), and both times it was strictly for one week. Then the next batch of apps came in and replaced it. I bet you saw a huge boost in installs!

For some reason they promote a competitor’s dead app that has 1.8 rating, while my app does the same thing with BFS badge + 5 rating, multiple reviews.

The competitor’s dead app is from a big agency, so I’m not sure if you have to meet someone to be put in spotlight, or the people in who choose the apps perhaps default to choosing big agencies.

I’ve been chosen twice, and I have no connection to Shopify, and I’m certainly not a big agency! It was awesome both times, but honestly, I think it was just pure luck.

Although I imagine knowing a few of the right people at Shopify probably doesn’t hurt your chances!

And if any Shopify staff are reading this and fancy supporting the little guy, my apps wouldn’t say no to a bit more spotlight - it’s pretty dark over here! :wink: :pleading_face:

They just gave up maintaining the app store. It’s turning into a slop-apocalyptic piece of ruin.